Friday, October 15, 2010

Brain Pop: Perfect (or Perfection Part 3)

I wrote this next post a little while ago. I got distracted by the other 'Perfection' posts and didn't get back around to posting it. It is amazing how God teaches groups of people the same things at the same time and this whole 'Perfection' thing is just one example.


In a final response to the earlier posts, I have to say that the blogger did miss the point a bit....  I am hoping that this post can tie up some loose ends for my train of thought on this issue.....  


So... several weeks ago I wrote.....


It has been a pretty strange couple of weeks around the traps of my personal life lately. I have been to the funeral of someone who committed suicide, I have stumbled upon a friend's nasty addiction, a family member is in a really unhappy place and a good friend has been dealt a personal blow of her own. On top of that my whole family has come down ill with various things requiring a myriad of medications and lots of visits to our local medical centre. It has been a crazy time.


But, God has chosen now to draw me in. Or, I have decided that now is the time I near to draw near to him. Or, perhaps this has been happening for a while and I needed some sadness to remind me of God's goodness.


I don't think I am a very good Christian. I get by on my own most of the time. I know I don't pray enough and I certainly don't read my bible enough. I love God and I know he loves me and I would definitely consider myself 'saved', but there has always felt as if something is missing, like some kind of connection just isn't there. I thought it was that God was hard to find, but I am realising that it is actually more along the lines of me not tuning my 'God Radio' into the right station.


Some things have been crossing my mind through music and reading lately that have made things in my brain pop. Literally, popped, thoughts that have picked up a track that lies in my brain and pops it right onto a new track so that a new train of thought can begin. It is cool.


One 'Brain Pop' has been about being perfect. I personally don't struggle with being perfect, I can live with a bit of mess, I think being a bit dishevelled keeps me real. But God is perfect. He doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't allow things to happen without a reason. He does things for our good. He is ever the same day after day, year after year, decade after decade. The God who David in the bible worshipped, is the same one I can worship. I have always thought these kinds of ideas were just fundamental bible knowledge things, but I am beginning to realise that they can actually be more.


Being perfect is impossible for humans. Oh, we can practice and try and try and try, but in the end, we are unable to do it on our own. But this is actually a quality of God. He just is - perfect. And this is where my brain popped - God's perfection is actually worthy of praise.


With my shopping list way of praying, or the good old fashioned 'ACTS' way of praying, it can be hard to miss praising God for his qualities, not just the amazing amounts of blessings he dumps into our lives. Being perfect sets God apart from me as a human and helps me to see that I need Him in my life. Being perfect and not making mistakes allows me to see that God is in control more than I will ever be and that if I lock into what he wants for me, things will be okay.


Through exposure to lots of imperfections in life like: suicide, addictions, betrayal, anger, jealousy, abuse and general human nastiness, I have found that God is perfect. God is so sustainable, he uses every scrap of human emotion to teach me things! At a time when ordinarily I would be under the covers eating whipped cream and not bathing due to the 'tragedy' of things I have dealt with in the past few weeks, I find myself up bright and early just needing to write down the reasons why God being perfect is so worthy of praise - what a mind blowing thing.


Just to be a bit of a spiritual geek - I found an online Bible Concordance and typed in 'Perfect' and found a great verse - it is a nice way to finish off this mini sermon...


Deuteronomy 32

The Song
 1-5 Listen, Heavens, I have something to tell you. Attention, Earth, I've got a mouth full of words. My teaching, let it fall like a gentle rain,
      my words arrive like morning dew,
   Like a sprinkling rain on new grass,
      like spring showers on the garden.
   For it's 
God's Name I'm preaching—
      respond to the greatness of our God!
   
The Rock: His works are perfect, 
      and the way he works is fair and just; 
   A God you can depend upon, no exceptions, 
      a straight-arrow God. 
   His messed-up, mixed-up children, his non-children,
      throw mud at him but none of it sticks.



Thus sayeth B.


PS - 'Brain Pops' will feature in coming posts - seems that my brain is a poppin' place to be!

1 comment:

  1. What a journey....a continuing one by the sounds. Thanks for your honesty...raw, challenging, appreciated. God is God...and I am not. So glad.

    ReplyDelete